The Kingdom Hearts III announcement inspired me to resume my Kingdom Hearts replay, even though we probably won't actually be seeing III for a good while yet. I was at the first Hollow Bastion visit. Thoughts!
- The second Riku fight in Hollow Bastion? The one in front of the Keyhole, where Riku's wearing his
I didn't have any trouble with it this time. I beat it quite comfortably on my first try.
It was weird.
- Dragon Maleficent, on the other hand, was a bit of a nightmare. Eventually I had to run back to Traverse Town and beg the moogles to make me something with really good defence.
- Some day I'm going to count up all the characters who've been literally inside Sora's heart at one point or another. By now I think it must be in double figures. Kingdom Hearts III will be set entirely inside Sora's heart.
- ♥ RIKU TRIES TO HOLD ANSEM BACK ♥ I'D FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT ♥
- (I've mentioned that I really, really love redemption stories, right? Rikuuuuu. The poor kid never really manages to escape from his guilt after this game.)
- 'Don't worry, Sora,' Leon says. 'If anyone can save your friend, you can.' But then if you talk to him again afterwards he mutters things like 'Maybe it's hopeless for ordinary people to oppose the darkness', of course, because Squall is terrible at being reassuring.
- It's strange to replay the first game, because the plot is so straightforward compared to the ridiculous mess it's since become. AND ALSO SORA'S BABY VOICE.
- It's also strange in the light of my realisation a while ago that, although I'd always thought of Sora/Kairi as a canonical couple, it isn't one. It never strays beyond subtext. Kingdom Hearts is very much about friendship and very much not about romance, which I think is quite nice. I feel that the first game toyed with the idea of making the Sora-Kairi relationship romantic, but then later games scrapped that and gave all the relationships in the Riku-Sora-Kairi friendship group the same weight.
I suppose it's possible that the Sora-Kairi relationship might become romantic in Kingdom Hearts III, but it would honestly surprise me by this point. (Unless I was correct in concluding that the Riku-Sora-Kairi connections were all weighted equally, but failed to clock that in fact that's because they're all weighted romantically? Maybe the next game is going to be all about their ménage à trois relationship. HOW DISNEY.)
There was a time in my teenage years when I didn't really have much patience for Sora. Looking back, I don't understand why I didn't love him from the start. He's such a sweetheart! As I've grown up, I think I've become much more kindly disposed to relentlessly cheerful, optimistic characters.
Something in Dream Drop Distance that I think sums up Sora perfectly: almost exactly sixty seconds after meeting Neku for the first time, Sora says, 'Why don't I just help you out as your friend?'
Oh, Sora. ('Do you trust every total stranger you meet?' Neku asks. He has a point, especially considering that he's been vaguely hostile during most of the minute they've been acquainted; the first thing he says to Sora is 'Shut it.' But still Sora considers him a friend within seconds, because he is Sora.)