I'm now up to episode ten, and, okay, Yuri!!! on ICE
is possibly the cutest thing I've ever watched. If you're on the lookout for something cheerful, endearing and homoerotic, I recommend it enthusiastically. (Unless there's a massive
tonal shift in the final two episodes, I suppose, but a) that's unlikely, and b) if that did
happen, the first ten episodes would still be magical and beautiful.) It's available on Crunchyroll here
Bless the tenth episode. I was thinking 'hey, you can't tell us there was a drunken dance-off and not show
us!', and then along came the closing credits. I love how incredibly serious
Yurio's expressions are during the dance-off. Of course they are. Bless you, Yurio.
Yurio's expressions are also wonderful whenever JJ is anywhere in the vicinity. I love his outraged glare.
Other things I love:
- Yurio starting to shout encouragement to Yuri and then cutting himself off.
- Yurio running away in alarm when he thinks Yuri is going to hug him.
- Yurio making incredibly grumpy overtures of friendship towards Yuri. (Yurio going 'UGH, THAT GUY' but slowly, reluctantly warming up to that guy is my favourite thing. I like to imagine he's reading this post and going WHAT, NO, I'M NOT WARMING UP TO ANYONE, FUCK YOU.)
- Yurio's fashion sense revolving around cats. I was already highly amused by his taste for tiger and lion T-shirts, but it took me a while to realise all the leopard print also fit in with the 'big cats' theme!
- Victor having absolutely no concept of personal space.
- Phichit being enthusiastic and supportive when he thinks Yuri and Victor are married. (And Victor going 'ha, no, of course we're not married, we're engaged
- my housemates shouting 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?????' in incredulous delight at the screen whenever something gay happens, i.e. constantly.
Early in the series, one of my housemates mentioned that some people argue online that Yuri and Victor are ENTIRELY HETEROSEXUAL, NO EROS THERE. This is pretty hilarious in itself, but it became particularly
hilarious after their kiss and Yurio's furious reaction. In the universe of Yuri!!! on ICE
, social media no doubt blew up with the news of that kiss, and I can imagine Yurio was the one angrily typing THERE WAS NOTHING BEHIND IT, IT WAS A FRIENDLY KISS, THEY'RE JUST FRIENDS, THEY'RE BARELY
FRIENDS, THEY'RE JUST TOLERATING EACH OTHER, SCREW YOU ALL.
Has someone written fanfiction about this? This show really seems to cry out for fic about the characters' ill-advised adventures on social media.
...wow, there are over ten thousand
works on AO3 for Yuri!!! on ICE
. The last thing I wrote for (Oxenfree
) had about sixty, so I'm sort of reeling from this. Ten thousand! How is that even possible? This show only came out four months ago!